– Our taxes support vital programs such as health care, education, police, and environmental protection.
– It is fiscally and socially irresponsible not to provide adequate funding for vital services.
It is not good for our economy to underfund vital services.
– A tax system must be fair, or funding will fall short. Fairness ensures that taxpayers are able and willing to pay their taxes.
– The current tax system in Massachusetts is not fair : Lower income people pay at a higher rate than the wealthiest, when all state and local taxes and loopholes are considered.
– We can not and should not solve our budget problems by hiking fees paid by low and moderate income people.
– There are tax system changes that will make the tax system fairer. But the Massachusetts Legislature has been ignoring the alternatives.