Dear Representative ____,
I urge you to oppose H4741, the “expedited permitting bill”. It would disempower communities, threaten the environment, and encourage poorly planned, potentially harmful development.
Specifically, the bill:
· Undermines local zoning, an important community tool for democratically guiding local development.
· Eliminates the rights of citizens to protect endangered river ways and coastlines through legal proceedings.
· Requires automatic approval if cause to modify or stop the project is not fully established within an inadequate 180-day time limit.
· Allows potentially harmful development to proceed while under appeal.
· Erodes the traditional authority of Town Meeting by placing the decision to adopt expedited permitting in the hands of the Board of Selectmen.
I hope you will allow ample time for statewide hearings and local input before new permitting laws are enacted. It is unacceptable that this bill is coming up for a vote without the public having had a chance to testify on its critical provisions.
I would appreciate if you would get back to me and let me know how you vote on this bill.
Thank you very much.