|Home Page | Welcome | Issues | Volunteer | About us | Contribute | Publications|
PETITION TO GOVERNOR ROMNEY AND THE MASSACHUSETTS LEGISLATURE
• We, the undersigned public interest organizations, believe that the Commonwealthís fast-track auction law for disposal of state-owned properties (Outside Section 548 of the Fiscal 2004 budget) does not properly protect the interests of communities in the just and wise use of scarce public lands. Such interests include open space preservation, the creation of affordable housing, and the protection of environmental resources.
* We further believe that land use policy, like other important public policies, should be created through a democratic process ‚ including debate, public input, and recorded votes. Section 548 was not created through such a process.
• We believe that decisions that have major, permanent effects upon specific communities should be made with full public participation of those communities. Such public participation is virtually precluded by Section 548.
Therefore we ask the Governor and the legislature to support:
1) an immediate moratorium on the surplusing and sale by auction of state-owned properties under the current flawed process created by Outside Section 548;
2) the expeditious repeal of Outside Section 548;
3) opportunities for full public hearings and community consultation regarding changes to laws that influence the disposition and reuse of state land.