The parcel referred
to as the "Middlesex County Hospital land" is a 54-acre parcel of
open space in two towns: 47.5 acres in Lexington and 65 acres in Waltham. It
is adjacent to the campus of the former MCH hospital (which is now being developed
into housing). The hospital was constructed by the county as a tuberculosis
sanatorium. Land was acquired in 1929 through purchase and use of eminent domain.
Several local citizen groups and area legislators have expressed concern over
the impacts that could result from improper reuse of the land.